<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, April 16, 2004

I've never been much of a believer in psychic phenomena. Even though some weird events have happened to me that I've never been able to explain. (Ask me about my John Lennon story sometime.)

For example, I never put a lot of faith in the idea that twins, just because they're born at the same time, have the benefit of "psychic connection" about them.

I know, you hear stories about twins who are separated at birth and find each other years later, only to find out that they got the same things for their birthdays, and both became dental hygienists and stuff like that. But any intentionally "psychic" connection is still out there to be proved.

However, twins can be really weird.

Back when I was a horny teenager in Wisconsin, I went to school with a pair of twin girls. All attempts to attach myself to either in a romantic sense resulted in enough material for a sitcom, but they were rather intriguing people and I never forgot them.

Neither, apparently, have quite a few of the people from that time of my life who I've bumped into over the years. They all want to know if I have any idea what happened to T&N, who I will keep anonymous because if you're reading this and you know who I'm talking about, then I don't have to tell you.

Anyway, I had no idea at all about what happened to them until awhile ago when I discovered a link to their younger brother, who's a lawyer in Texas.

He told me that they both lived in Texas as well, where they both married accountants.

Both accountants are named Dave.

Both Daves are from Milwaukee.

Both Daves are five years older than the girls.

Now, I don't know how these people met each other. Maybe one Dave knew the other Dave, and set up one of the twins with a blind date. Maybe they met while buying kumquats. Who knows or cares? The point is, that's a pretty bizarre set of circumstances, especially if this stuff just played out without intervention from one side or another -- a completely unpredictable occurrence.

In other words, coincidence.

Yeah, that's what it is.

(By the way, the twins in this case were not identical; they were easy to tell apart, and their brother told me that they got into different lines of work. So the similarities end there.)

I read a Heinlein story once about a pair of telepathic twins. In the book, Scientists have perfected speed-of-light travel; one of the twins agrees to be shot into space to see how far he can go and still communicate with his brother. Answer: really, really far. And, for a really, really long time. Maybe someday we'll get a real answer on whether twins can "communicate," per se. But I'll hang my hat on coincidence for now.

Note to T&N if you ever read this: get in touch with somebody! Everybody from Brookfield Central wonders where the hell you are and how you're doing.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?