<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, May 20, 2004

Randy Johnson pitched a perfect game the other night. For those of you who don't know what that means, quite simply, he faced 27 batters and went three up, three down for nine innings. No runs, no hits, no walks, no errors, no passed balls, nothing. Just strikeouts, ground outs and fly outs.

That's what makes it different from a no-hitter, which is hard enough. Most no hitters have a walk or two in them, an error, or something.

How tough is it to pictch a perfect game? He's only the 17th pitcher to do it. EVER. Nolan Ryan pitched seven no-hitters in his career. None of them were perfect. It's HARD to do.

He was headed for the Hall of Fame already, but now they can pretty much widen the driveway into the Hall for him.

Johnson got to do the top ten on David Letterman last night:

"Top Ten cool things about pitching a perfect game:

10. "After this I can go 0-15 for the rest of the year and honestly not give a crap."

9. "My pregame dinner at Denny's? On the house."

8. "Shows everyone that even though I'm 40, I can still ... I'm sorry, I lost my train of thought."

7. "Cool to get a congratulatory call from the president, even though he kept calling me 'Larry.'"

6. "Can walk up to guys who have thrown no-hitters and whisper: 'Loser!'"

5. "All the pine tar I can eat!"

4. "Your catcher hugs you and it feels kind of nice."

3. "Maybe people will finally get over the time that I killed that bird."

2. "It's just one more thing about me that's perfect ... am I right, ladies?"

1. "George Steinbrenner just offered me one billion dollars to sign with the Yankees."

That's funny stuff! Especially #5...


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?