<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, August 02, 2004

I saw "I Robot" over the weekend, and despite the fact that, like pretty much all Science Fiction movies these days, it has enough holes to drive a robot delivery truck trough, and it was a stereotypical "rogue cop who can't get any respect from the rest of the force" movie, it's a good, fun two hours. Will Smith is a great smart-ass, as we all know, and he plays the stereotypical "rogue cop" very eagerly here.

I do wish that just once, before I die (thank god I plan to live to be 106; Hollywood has 60 years to do this), there would be one rogue cop movie where the said rogue is NOT threatened with his badge if he "does it again, " and where his understanding but responsible sergeant does NOT ask him for his badge at some point, thus forcing the cop to keep investigating and solving the crime, even though he's on suspension.

Why can't there be one movie where the Sergeant says, "Now look, O'Leary. The force has had enough of your freakin' hijinks. If you get out of line just 26 MORE TIMES, I'm going to be forced to consider whether I need to take your badge or not!"

Or even better, how about one where the rogue cop is forced to turn over his badge, which he does, then he goes home and we never see him again, because he's not a cop anymore?

Last night I watched "Love and Death," one of my favorite Woody Allen films. It's one of Allen's best. My son Adam was watching it for the first time, and watching him literally fall off the couch laughing was a thrill in itself.

My next three Netflix deliveries will be The Beatles' first concert in Washington, DC, a documentary about the history of Sex in the Cinema, and "Masked and Anonymous," a film which showed up on lots of critics 10 worst lists last year.

You never heard of Masked and Anonymous? It was Bob Dylan's first starring role in a movie in 30 years, apparently for good reason! I can't wait!

(By the way, the CD for Masked and Anonymous is delightful--it's groups from all around the world covering Bob Dylan songs. "My Back Pages" in Japanese is hilarious.)

I can't recommend Netflix enough, by the way. What a great way to find those hard-to-find flix from yesteryear! If it's on DVD, they probably have it.

Well, okay, they don't have the documentary "Theremin," which I really want to see, but other than that I haven't been disappointed.

TT

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?