<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, August 13, 2004

Now Julia Child is gone. I'm not crazy about cooking shows but whenever I saw Julia Child on TV I always stopped to watch. She was hilarious.

Sometimes, she was hilarious in spite of herself. I remember back around 1970 there was an APB put out on swordfish; DON'T EAT IT. There's too much mercury in the swordfish, etc. etc.

Well, if you're old enough to remember back then, you'll remember that PBS (or maybe it was still called NET) allowed a remarkable amount of shelf life to their programs. You might see a show taped two, three YEARS before the night it aired, and they didn't really pay attention to the content of the shows, since almost nobody was watching anyway.

Well, the night of the swordfish edict, I'm flipping around and I see Julia Child is about to come on, so I sit down and she says, "Tonight, the Wonders of Swordfish! On 'The French Chef!' Then she gets into it, She pulls out a chunk of swordfish about the size of two footballs and starts cutting it into steaks, and I'm laughing my butt off as she talks about how GOOOD swordfish is. And how GOOOOD it is for you. And I'm thinking, please God, let there be visible mercury dripping out of this swordfish. There wasn't but I could always hope with the best of 'em.

-----------

So New Jersey's governor quits because he's gay. This is not a good thing. Let's be honest. He quit because he cheated on his wife with his gay lover and got caught -- not just because he's gay. And from what I've read about him, this may have been the easiest way to duck out of a bad job. He's already been hit with a couple of scandals (has there ever been a governor of New Jersey who WASN'T crooked?), he apparently had zippo in the leadership skills department and the GOP was embarrassed with the guy anyway. So maybe the revelation that he's gay was simply the easiest way out.

----------

I don't know what it is about the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics, but I like them. My wife thinks I'm nuts -- it's just lines of people walking. Be that as it may, it's colorful, it's interesting, and as I write this it's happening in Greece. Nine hours from now I can tape it.

TT

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?