<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

I saw this news item and I have to pass it on...

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- An unexplained radio signal from deep space could -- just might be -- contact from an alien civilization, New Scientist magazine reported on Thursday.

The signal, coming from a point between the Pisces and Aries constellations, has been picked up three times by a telescope in Puerto Rico.


...and the radio message is:

A) Hey, Puerto Rico! Tell Sister Bertrille to stop flying around like that! She could get hurt!

B) Hey, Puerto Rico! Those "Buena Vista Social Club" guys are really bitchen! Do they tour?

c) Hey, Puerto Rico! Wait a minute--you're not a state, but you still get electoral votes? Howzat work?

D) Hey, Puerto Rico! I bought a taco from a street vendor when I was visiting. How do I fix this "Dysentery", as you call it?

Funny, but I didn't know telescopes could play radio signals. I have no memories of my folks telling me how they used to gather around the telescope to hear FDR give a fireside chat.

How do you tune a telescope? What if you don't LIKE what Pisces is putting out? Does Aries have the same kind of radio stations?

Wouldn't it be horrible if we actually made contact with another civilization, and we got there via some magical speed method, and discovered that the popular music there really, really sucked, just like here?

TT

Comments:
If it's all right with you, Cherlie, I'd rather we didn't discuss length...at least not on the internet. :-)

TT
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?