<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Things I'd like to attend at least once in my life:

An opera with somebody famous in it

A World Series game

A nude wedding

An orgy

A factory where they make baseball bats

The Kentucky Derby

The Grammys

------------

Ever noticed how poorly men write erotica, and how well women do it? I think it has to do with the fact that most guys view sex from a "get it over with" or a "me, me, me" mentality, and they don't stop and smell...well, anything.

When a woman writes about sex, it's all about details; the setup, the location, the colors, the smells--not of the actual act so much, but the cookies baking and filling the room with a sweet aroma that means this quickie had better be over soon or there was gonna be burnt cookies, etc. The only problem with this sort of thing, of course is that it's easy to overdo it.

When I was a kid I had a friend whose mother was really into a trashy writer named Jacqueline Susann. She was one of those modern-romance writers who really got into the late-60s/early 70s "everyone's-in-love-and-on-drugs-let's-all-fuck-each-other-senseless" mentality. In a Jacqueline Susann novel, everybody eventually gets high, naked and laid.

My friend's mom used to leave these books out around their house and being early teens, we were always trying to find the "good parts," which was easy with a JS novel because every other PAGE was a good part.

However, they did make me wonder if everybody, once they reached adulthood, was in fact pressured into behaving like sluts.

Indeed, Jacqueline Susann definitely was a sex writer who "overdid" it. If there's a male counterpart to her I would guess that it was Tom Robbins. I never could make it through "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues," and while I did read and enjoy "Still Life with Woodpecker," I realized about halfway in that I was being had.

I don't want to be "had" when I'm reading erotica. I want to be horny.

--------

Boy, do the Diamondbacks suck.


TT

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?