<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, October 07, 2004

Driving around during this primary and general election time, if I didn't know better I'd think I was in the 1940s and baseball players were running for office.

So far, I've seen Pee Wee Reese running for constable and Ted Williams for the Health Board. Even stranger, just about everywhere I see a Ted Williams sign, there's another sign urging people to vote for Prop 400.

(Those of you who know your baseball get the connection. For those of you who don't, Ted Williams was the last hitter to finish a season with a batting average over .400. That was about 60 years ago, so you get an idea how hard it is to hit that damn ball.)

Who's next? Babe Ruth for house? Ty Cobb for Sherriff?

This is why I like election time. I love the names that pop up. My absolute favorite is a lady who's running for State House for the downtown area, whose name is Oksana Komarnyckyj. I'm presuming the "J" is silent and I have no IDEA how to pronounce the rest of that last name.

I couldn't resist so I looked her up. In spite of the name she's American as apple pie -- a native New Yawkah. Comes from Ukranian roots, which explains that Ellis Island of a spelling for the last name, which incidentally she married into. I shudder to think what her maiden name is. About the only thing I couldn't find out about her was how she pronounces Komarnyckyj.

I'm encouraged, though by the amount of ethnic diversity I'm seeing in the names of the people running for State House. Up in our neighborhood a younger lady named Rano Singh is running. She's an ex-school teacher so you know she's pro-education, as am I, so I'll be voting for her.

We need different cultures in the state house for no other reason than to scare the old whities who still wonder why we ever freed the slaves, why we don't just close all the damn schools since we're old and don't need them anymore, and why we can't behead anyone we don't like in the public square like the Muslims do. Dammit.

(The above paragraph on how old people in the State House think is a PARODY. Sort of. So if you're gonna get mad, only get SORT OF mad. And write me only SORT OF a complaint. Thanks. Sort of.)

I've never been too politically active except when it appears that I'm about to be infringed. I remember writing a letter some years ago to the state government when some old biddy from Mesa introduced a bill that was so badly written it would have outlawed nudity anywhere outside your house and a doctor's office. In effect, it actually outlawed parts of several religious ceremonies and of course, any opportunity to actually enjoy oneself a la buffo.

I wrote about that one, and apparently so did quite a few other people because the proposal was tabled and the withered shrew who wrote it was voted out shortly thereafter.

So, regardless of whether you can pronounce your favorite candidate's name, please go out and vote on November 2. It's my birthday and I want a new president for my birthday. Help make it so.

TT




Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?