<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Has it really been 24 years?

Yesterday was December 8. That's how long John Lennon's been dead. 24 years ago yesterday.

I don't believe in ESP or telepathy or shit like that but I remember 12/8/80 because one of the weirdest things I've ever experienced happened to me that night.

Aside from being a lifelong Beatles fan, I certainly didn't know JL any better than any of you probably did. Only that he helped shape my life musically, philosophically and culturally.

Other than that, we were in no way connected.

However, if you were one to believe in subconscious messages, you might think that John sent me a message. Personally I'm sure this story is coincidence, but YOU BE THE JUDGE:

On Monday 12/8 I was where I usually was at night, at my future wife's house, mooching dinner off her parents. Afterwards, Jan and I went into her room and just sat around not doing much; maybe reading.

I usually went home about nine o'clock, 'cause I had to work the next day. But at about 8:50 MST, 10:50 New York Time, I remember feeling a need to look at my watch, and then I heard a voice in my head that said, "PLAY A BEATLES RECORD." I've never had an experience like it before or since.

I told Jan that I HAD TO HEAR a Beatles Record. She thought I was crazy. It's time to go home, isn't it? Not tonight, I said.

So I pulled out Sgt. Pepper and put it on. I played the whole album. I remember not moving from where I was sitting, just listening to this album that the voice in my head told me to play. I only got up once to flip the platter (this was pre-CD days for you young whippersnappers).

When it was over, I suddenly felt sated. I put the record away, kissed Jan goodbye and got in my car.

Then I turned on the radio.

"Let It Be" was playing. That's a coincidence, I thought.

Then they played another Beatles song. And Another. Then "Just Like Starting Over," JL's single that was big at the time.

What the hell's going on, I'm thinking as I'm driving. Is this "Beatles Monday" or something?

Then, finally, the very upset announcer came on.

I nearly fucking drove off the road. In fact, I think I did. I was shaking so hard I must have.

I am not a big drinker. I have never had a drink to calm down after even the closest of relatives have died. But that night, I knew I needed a drink. I drove to a bar near my place and ordered a beer. Fortunately, there was another musician friend in the place, watching the report on TV. No need to drink alone, right?

The news was still trickling in. When did it happen, I wondered. I remember the TV news guy saying it occurred at about 10:50 p.m. New York time. That's what time it was when I remembered looking at my watch. That's when I played the album. And realizing that, that's when I ordered up another beer.

Like I said, I'm sure it was coincidence. But it sure was weird.

Tonight, like every Thursday night, I'll host the open stage at Fiddler's Dream. But we all agreed last week that we were going to all sing "Happy Xmas" tonight. For John. For everybody. It's a great song, even if it is just a ripoff of "Stewball was a Racehorse." And its out-chorus is never more pertinent than now:

War is over if you want it. War is over now.

Thanks, John.

TT






Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?