<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

The other night I got a really worn 1928 Buffalo nickel in my change. Nice to know there are still some of those floating around out there. Anybody got a Mercury dime?

-------

This is the time of year when I wish they would stop trying to make new Holiday specials and just stick with the stuff that works. If "A Charlie Brown Christmas" comes on while I'm watching TV, I'm totally there. It's 39 years old, I've seen it probably 30 of those 39 years and it still works.

"Frosty the Snowman?" Okay, maybe. "Rudolph?" Damn straight. "I want to be a dentist..."

But "Christmas with Clay Aiken?" WTF is that? You want Christmas music? Dig out the old Sing-Along-with-Mitch Christmas specials!

-------

And speaking of annoying shit around Christmas time, who decided that "My Favorite Things" is a Christmas Song? It's NOT A Christmas song! It's from the "Sound of Music!" It's a "We're scared shitless and running from the NAZIs" song!

Besides, John Coltrane made "My Favorite Things" an anytime song just by recording his instrumental version of it. If you've heard it, then you know there is not, nor will there ever be, a better version of "My Favorite Things." Any time of year.

-------

Now for generally annoying shit: Who decided that "sick" and "wrong" are now euphemisms for "amazing" and "preferable," respectively?

"Kobe Bryant is averaging 40 points per game. That is just sick and wrong."
"The Boston Red Sox finally won the world series! How sick is that?"

Reminds me of the fifteen minutes in the 70s when "Bad" meant "Good."

I think the only slang term that still means what it meant when somebody started using it differently is "cool." "Cool" is part of our constant vernacular now. I thought "hip" might do that too, but I haven't heard anybody say "I'm hip" or "That's really hip" in ages.

But that's cool. You hip?

TT


Comments:
Hey, there's one newer song that's strangely appropriate for me this year: Your own "Christmas in Arizona."

Bill's mother moved back to Phoenix from California (insert long, slowed-down anguished No-o-o-o-o sound effect here). Guess who gets to spend Christmas Eve this year flying back to Sun City West? Bring on the Clay Aiken! Hell, bring on Reuben and Justin and Kelly and William Hung too! Misery loves company, I've heard.

Debora K.
 
Deb: Get ahold of us when you're out here! Maybe we can all do dinner or something...how long are you here for?

TT
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?