<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Last year, many months ago, I was in a store buying something and the guy asked me if I'd like to get eight free weeks of Sports Illustrated. I said sure, because this was the same place that asked me if I wanted eight free issues of Entertainment Weekly, which I've now been receiving for FREE for nearly three years.

So, as you might imagine, the eight weeks came and went, and I'm still getting Sports Illustrated. Free.

Which means that for the first time in my life, I have a copy of one of the much-ballyhooed swimsuit issues.

To give you an idea of the panicked excitement that the arrival of this esteemed tome caused in a house with two heterosexual teenage boys, I will attempt to describe the scene:

It came one day in the mail. It then sat for nearly two weeks in our mail basket unnoticed until I went through it looking for bills.

The thing is, the SI swimsuit issue just isn't that big of a deal anymore. You know what you're gonna get. The photography is wonderful, the models are incredibly beautiful and frequently, amazingly good sports. You get a pointless article on how the issue came together this year; you get to see a lot of bathing suits.

There is, however, one aspect of the issue that just fascinates the hell out of me:

It's the suggested retail prices of the bathing suits.

I have long had this theory that the less material it takes to make a bathing suit, the more it costs. I don't understand this, except that you literally are paying top dollar to have the right to be as naked as you wanna be. (Never mind that most of these beaches you see the models on are clothing-optional anyway, and a normal person would just doff their duds and spend NOTHING to go to the beach, save the trip getting there. At the most, they might go to Target and buy a $15 bathing suit.)

Case in point: On one page there's a picture of a model with a standard, rather conservative bikini bottom (not sure the price but it's more than $100!), and on top, she's wearing a soaking wet, see-through shirt. The SRP of this flimsy piece of material? $300+!

I wouldn't spend 300 bucks on a SUIT without good reason. Sheesh.

I wonder if a single bathing suit has ever been sold from appearing in Sports Illustrated. I wonder if they care. The designers get free publicity; what more can you ask for?

------

Fiddler's Dream is having its annual spring festival this Saturday. I'm closing the joint at 10:30. My wife's dance troupe is (I think) performing at some point during the day in the Quaker big building. Come check it out! $5 gets you in and out all day! Joe Bethancourt at 9! Woo Hoo!

TT

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?