<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, July 29, 2005

If you were a kid in the sixties you remember this:

Jiffy Pop
Jiffy Pop
The Magic Treat
As much fun to make
As it is to eat.

Problem was, if you ever HAD Jiffy Pop, you know that it was actually MORE fun to make than it was to eat.

It was just popcorn.

I can remember, all the times I had Jiffy Pop, thinking, why can't there be something ELSE in there, just once? Like a dragon or something.

A three-headed hydra.

Jiffy Pop
Jiffy Pop
The Magic Treat
More fun to make
UNTIL YOU'RE CHOSEN TO BE EATEN
BY THE GREAT CTHULHU!

That might explain why Lovecraft didn't write ad copy...

Call me an old fart and an old fuddy duddy but being a kid these days is just not as fun as it was when we were kids.

I have NEVER had the opportunity to buy my kids even ONE toy that came with the inherent possibility of injuring them.

No Mattel Thingmakers. Remember those? There was Creepy Crawlers, Fright Factory, Army Men, or whatever they called it, and I thing there was one for girls to hurt themselves with.

Basically, Mattel Thingmakers were hot plates with lead molds and a material called PlastiGoop®, which was made from colored sludge kept in vats since WWII and foisted upon us as a toy. You put the goop in the lead mold, put the mold on the hotplate and when the goop had darkened and hardened to the consistency of a gummy worm (Not that we knew what gummy worms were yet) you took METAL tongs and removed the mold, waited for it to cool and then peeled out the bug/fangs/army guys/whatever.

Of course, we were kids. Nobody WAITED for it to cool. That's how you burned your hands on the mold. Made a man out of you. Even the girls.

Mattel even had a CANDY Thingmaker called INCREDIBLE EDIBLES. I HOPE the molds were steel...

Why can't MY kids have fun scary stuff like that?

And whatever happened to the vibrating football game that made every single player vibrate out of bounds within seconds?

You kids these days don't know what you're missin', consarn it!

TT

Comments:
I have much love for the old toys. I had both "Incredible Edibles" and "Creepy Crawlers." And even better, the ultimate in deadly projectiles, Lawn Darts.

I guess kids today will just have to play with power tools to get the thrills we had.

Debora K.
 
I had Creepy Crawlers and the expansion set for Tarzan, Didn't have Lawn Darts, had a bow and arrows instead.
 
My brothers had the creepy crawlers set with the army guys. When you re-melted those guys to press them back into cubes, it never quite worked. And whatever happened to SuperElasticBubblePlastic? Oh yeah... kids were sniffing it to get high.
 
Not sure, Nancy but you may be confusing the Thingmaker with another Mattel hot plate toy that I also had, the "Time Machine." This was a hot plate with a cylindrical chamber. You tossed a plastic square into the machine and as it heated up it resumed its original shape -- a dinosaur, a bug, etc. And yes it had a compressor that you cranked on the side that resumed it to something that sort of resembled a square. But they were never as good as the factory compressed square you started out with.

TT
 
Great Blog! I also have a site about delicious gourmet chocolate
. You can check it out at delicious gourmet chocolate


Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder
 
Nice Blog about sporting goods. I also have a Blog/Website about sporting goods which is why I enjoyed this blog so much. Keep up the excellent work! Check out my site if you have a moment.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?