<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, August 07, 2005

IDENTIFY THIS PLANT.





This is corn, right?

The reason that I'm asking is, I PLANTED pepper seeds.

That's a Scotch bonnet plant growing somewhat unperturbed under the CORN,
which is growing from the exact spot where I saw my son break open a red pepper pod and
plant a bunch of red pepper seeds.

If any of you have corn experience, can you tell me this:

If I trim the corn leaves to allow the scotch bonnet to get more sun, will that hurt my
chances of getting corn?

If the Scotch Bonnet sprouts peppers, which would come after flowering, and the flowers happen
at about the time the corn starts to silk, and pollen gets on the corn, will I get KILLER HEAT CORN?

Will the Burbank society write me up in their journals as a botanist extraordinaire?

Can corn even GROW in Arizona?

Why is this happening to me?

Your comments are welcome.

TT

Comments:
LOL, I think the only thing you're going to get in AZ's climate is popcorn. That's definitely a corn plant. Perhaps the peppers you seeded from were genetically crossbred with corn to increase insect resistance? In any case, that's pretty funny, especially if you've seen the movie "Secondhand Lions" where their entire garden turns out to be corn.

Debora K.
 
I've never had popped corn in my garden, but I've had stewed tomatoes on several occasions, and this year summer came on so suddenly I had fried green tomatoes!
Seriously, the monsoon season is the traditional time of year to plant corn in Arizona - though I've never seen anyone try and grow it in a container that size. Good luck! You should be able to cut off a few leaves to give the pepper more light.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?