<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, October 07, 2005



BARRY BARD R.I.P.

A very good friend of mine, and of many people who read this blog, died this morning.
I met Barry Bard like most people did, at a sci-fi convention in the 1980s. Odd that it took so long, because Barry was at NAU the same time I was, and I always thought it odd that I wouldn't have met a guy with the outgoing personality he had until much later.

If you've ever attened a convention in Phoenix you probably have Barry Bard to thank for all the free stuff you took home with you, because Barry single-handedly made sure that it was there. His connections were amazing.

Just last month, clearly dying before our eyes, you could see Barry at Coppercon unloading heavy boxes of movie posters AND maintaining his usual huge table of books in the dealer's room for awhile, before going home so hospice could tend to a drainage tube in his stomach.

I cannot think of a single person who had a bad thing to say about Barry Bard. Not a one. He was a major mensch.

If you didn't know Barry, I wish you had. Those who did know what we've lost.

TT

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?