<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, May 19, 2006

E-LEC-TRI-CAL BA-NA-NAAAAAA...

In what could be the oddest gig of my life, tomorrow (Saturday) I'm the opening act for a reunion concert of a band that was quite popular here in the Phoenix area back in 1968. They were called the Violet Wing, and my buddy Dave Frankus (who you bellydancing, SCA-type people might better know as Edric Aziz, hand drummer extraordinaire) was the lead guitarist.

Well, Dave got this idea to round up all the band members he could find after 37 years of being apart, and have a reunion concert. But do it REALLY 60s, with sexy Go Go Girls and cages and an opening act...

...which will be me, doing 60s songs. (I'll probably sneak my song "Baby Boomer" in there too.)

The band's original singer is dead, so they're bringing in a guy, who they're calling "Claude Nine," who played in yet another band around at the time. He should be fine.

But they want ME to sing Louie Louie with them, so that should be different.

Also playing will be a group from San Diego called Bongo Billy and the Resonators.

I have no idea.

If you want to see this, and you should, it's tomorrow night at the Mesa Women's Center, 200 N. Macdonald in Mesa. I start the show at 7. I will also be the Emcee. I think it's free but Dave told me that if he does charge, it'll be a quarter. 'Cause that was the cover charge in '68...

(By the way, I said "sexy go-go girls," which means women who weren't even being THOUGHT ABOUT back in 1968.
At the rehearsal a couple weeks ago, Dave passed around the band's playlist, all classic rock songs and told the girls to pick the songs that they wanted to dance to. All but two of them (there will be between 7 and 12, depending on who actually shows up) had no freakin' idea what any of the songs were. )

TT

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?