<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

BLAME IT ON OLD AGE

In my previous Coot post I forgot to mention that I am guilty of one thing Coots do all the time: Assume the worst of someone.

Apparently, so does my wife, so she better watch it.

Case in point: I watched the beginning of the Grammys the other night to see the reunion of the Police. Sting starts off the show by saying, "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are the Police and we are back!!!" Everybody cheers, they play "Roxanne," everybody claps and I turn on the Suns game because I don't give a DAMN about the Grammys since it's just a popularity contest, has nothing to do with talent or good songs and a quick glance at all the nominees told me that I didn't know ANY of them, even slightly, except for that overplayed Gnarls Barkley thing.

So anyway, this morning comes along and on the news, they announce that the Police are, in fact, TOURING this summer. And BOTH of us say in unison, out loud, "I guess _________________ needs the money," except Jan said Stewart Copeland and I said Andy Summers.

Why would we assume that this is a mercy tour for those not otherwise Sting? BECAUSE WE'RE OLD! Because we've lived long enough to see the Beatles Anthology, which supposedly was only blessed by all the Beatles because George Harrison needed the money. Because we've been to enough oldies shows to know that those things pay. Because we've seen enough has beens at sci-fi conventions signing autographs for $25 a picture.

Because the Eagles might tour AGAIN. Sheesh.

Because we're OLD.

------

A kind of odd funny happened the other day. Before I'd heard about the demise of Anna Nicole Smith, somebody, assuming I had heard, said, 'Well it's that old "celebrity deaths happen in threes thing again." I knew about Barbara McNair and Frankie Laine, but I was hard pressed to figure out who he was talking about, so I said, "I dunno. Does Lew Burdette really count?" (For those of you who missed it, Lew Burdette was a pitcher for the Milwaukee Braves in the 1950s. He died last week.)

My friend says, "No, silly, Anna Nicole Smith!"

I couldn't resist. "Big deal. Who'd SHE pitch for? "

-------

This Friday is the 5th annual Alwun House Erotic Music and Poetry Festivus! Come see it! Come see me! 12th St. and Roosevelt! 8 pm! $10! It's lots of fun! It'll be nice out!

TT

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?