<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, October 26, 2007

BIT BY BIT...SPOT BY SPOT..

When I was in college I spent two of my summers working in a lumber yard. I stood outside all day without the benefit of sun screen, since such a thing did not really exist yet, or at least nobody thought much about it.

I am now paying the price for this. I have had so many precancerous lesions and melanomas removed from my arms (and now, yesterday, one from my leg) that my limbs are starting to resemble the moon with hair.

My song "Baby Boomer" was written in part due to my initial treatments at the dermatologist back in the late 90s. I'd already been treated for another kind of cancer but that was one you didn't see coming. With skin lesions you DO see it. And every time I suspect something, I go to the dermo and I'm usually right -- it's something.

Yesterday, in addition to my leg, I had two more growths taken off my left arm. The only thing cool about this was that the nurse applied a clotting agent to one of the wounds that literally turned the leaking blood into INSTANT CLOT. It was so interesting I asked her to poke me with a pin and do it again. (She wouldn't.)

I now have so many pockmarks on my body that I kinda wonder if I'm being hypocritical by not ever wanting to get a tattoo. I mean, aren't all these scars tattoos in a way? They say your body is a roadmap of where you've been. Apparently I've spent a good protion of my adult life in a chuckhole. Needless to say my scars can tell you stories, fer sure.

------

I will not be attending TusCon this year. I've notified the programming people but if my name shows up in programming anyway I won't be there to do it. (I got a gig that night in Mesa. Also, Jan and I signed up for a weekend yoga class that starts that Saturday. )

------

Don't forget, I'm pouring coffee tonight at Fiddler's Dream. Stop on by if you're not doing anything!

TT

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?