<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, November 12, 2007

STILL 50...STILL ENJOYING IT...

As I mentioned last time, I turned 50 years old on the second of November. However, my sister-in-law Lisa and her family couldn't properly celebrate it with me until Friday the ninth, so we met at the Cactus Road Voodoo Daddy's restaurant for dinner and birthday presents last Friday.

I had the crab cakes. DAMN good.

Anyway, Lisa and family got me the neatest thing: a turkish banjo/mandolin, made by the Cumbus factory in Turkey! It's loud, it's hard to tune, it's obnoxious and I LOVE THE HELL OUT OF IT.

Cumbus is not only a factory name; it's also the name of an instrument made out of a large cooking pot. My banjolin is made from a small cooking pot, and it resonates so loud that if you talk into it, it kinda works like a microphone.

Anxious to use it, I tuned it and popped a string on it last Saturday before my gig at Into the Bean. I retuned it with a new string, but being new, it hadn't stretched yet, so as I played it it went slowly out of tune. Sounded awful, but I LOVED IT!

I got some other neat things, too: An ipod that plays videos (only to discover that they have to be GOOGLE-APPROVED videos, so no boots, sadly) , and a fishbowl full of Boomer Candies and Gums-- Neccos, Abba Zaba, Oh! Henry, Beeman's, Teaberry, Black Jack, etc.

But probably the neatest thing that actually happened on my birthday was that I was the "UberBoomer of the Day" on November 2 at www.chucksigars.com. Chuck's an old college budd of mine whose blog is INFINITELY better written and cooler looking than this, so you should go check it out.

------

Prior to the gig, Jan and I ate at a converted Taco Bell/now a Vietnamese Restaurant called Nhat, right there on Southern in Mesa, on the other side of the bowling alley west of Into The Bean.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Jan had a noodle soup dish which she liked very much. I had lemon grass chicken on rice -- also a winner!

Heavy "M.o.T" presence (Members of the Tribe) there. Always indicative of a good place.
-------

The Into the Bean gig wasn't very profitable but it was a good time and the place was pretty much filled and stayed filled until I was done!

This Saturday, I play a private party. Woo Hoo!

------

I heard a funny on the radio this morning, in light of Peyton Manning, possibly the best quarterback of the last 25 years, throwing SIX interceptions yesterday in the Colts' loss to the Chargers. Ron Wolfley on KTAR Sports radio said: "Watching Peyton Manning throw six interceptions is disturbing. It's like watching Gandhi have road rage."

Hee hee...

TT

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?