<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, August 14, 2008

JUST BECAUSE I'M NICE


I found this wonderful performance on YouTube. It's from the Rolling Stones video "Rock and Roll Circus," which for some stupid reason I've never purchased on DVD (although I have it on VHS and CD).

Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Cream Beatles Experience!




In case you don't recognize everybody, John Lennon is getting down with Mr. Eric Clapton on the guitar, Keith Richards on bass (yes, BASS -- not a bad bass player, either) and Mitch Mitchell from the Jimi Hendrix Experience on drums.

You should find/rent/buy this little musical oddity because the whole thing is REALLY GOOD. Even the part with Yoko and a fiddle player.

------

Over at Archive.org you can download the original 1912 version of "I'm Henery the 8th, I Am," by an English music hall singer named Harry Champion. It's neat, and as you'll find out, the second verse is NOT the same as the first...or the third...

------

I've always found it interesting how songs that last are frequently only remembered for part of the song -- usually the chorus.
Think about it: Take Me Out To The Ball Game, "I'm Henery...." Wait Till the Sun Shines, Nellie, etc. etc. I think part of that might be attributable to the use of partial songs in Warner Brothers cartoons, as that's all we boomers know because that's how we found out about a lot of them in the first place.

I wonder what songs of today are most likely to get the "shortened" treatment?

"Alice's Restaurant," for sure.

"Yesterday." Most people only know the first verse of this song already.

Others?

------

My friends Keith and Carrie O'Brien are in the process of moving to Maine. We will miss them, but yesterday Keith sent me this picture of the house they're renting and I'm already jealous of the new locale, as we swelter in 100-plus heat...



Good luck, you two. Expect visitors...

TT

Comments:
Visitors are welcome! We even have a guest house. Okay, it's really the shed, but it's as big as the second bedroom in the house and THAT is going to be filled with our comics, books, and other paper things we don't want to chance in the basement.

Or you could stay in the basement. It's as big as the whole rest of the house.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?