<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, October 09, 2008

I'VE NEVER BEEN ONE FOR BLONDES, BUT...

...this woman is now my favorite newsreader ever.



------

MIssed the debate Tuesday night but watched the replay in the morning. Obama wins again. I think Janice figured out why. As we were watching, she says, "You know who McCain reminds me of? Look how he's standing." She then stooped over a little bit to imitate McCain's posture. Then, she raised her hands to either side of her head and made peace signs with her fingers.

And she was right -- he was pulling a Tricky Dick.

------

If you're local, there's a new open mic taking place on Tuesdays from 6-8 p.m. at the Codfather, an English fish and chips place at 16th St. and Bell. The acoustics are remarkable. This is in a trial situation right now to see if it catches on and makes the owner any money. Check it out next Tuesday. (Finally, some competition for Mama Java's on Indian School, an open mic so popular that there's no chance of getting a spot unless you're there two hours before they start.)

However: Please note that everything, so far as I can tell, is deep fried at the Codfather. Even the Guinness, I suspect. When the healthiest looking item at the joint appears to be the fries, you see how you could get into some real health problems if you ate here on a regular basis.

Glenn Torrico is running the open mic and he's doing a great job. This week, Igor Glenn, of Crazy Ed's fame for those of you old enough to remember that feted place (which was situated WAAAAAAAAAAY out of town at 19th Avenue and Deer Valley back when I first saw him play in 1974), showed up with his big bass fiddle and a friend who played the banjo like he was born with it. They were great!

Igor was one of the New Christy Minstrels for awhile, and holds the somewhat dubious honor of being the only three-time winner of the Gong Show. Back when he played at Ed's, he would literally "ride" his bass while playing it. The Crazy Ed's band at the time also included George Rock, who had retired to the Valley after playing with Spike Jones for many years. Rock was the squeaky voiced guy who sang "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth" and "Ya Wanna Buy a Bunny?"

------

I have discovered the joys of chickenshit.

No, really. When I went out a couple weeks ago to re-seed my garden for fall, I laid in a goodly amount of bird turd. I had seedlings popping up within TWO DAYS, when the packages said up to two weeks. Now my garden is positively the shit.

TT

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?