<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, January 19, 2009

IN THE CARDS

You know, I'm just as excited as everybody else that the reign of King George I ends tomorrow. Like a lot of people, I am encouraged by Barack Obama's sincere (if, I think, naive) call for change.

But indeed, already change is in the air.

Yeah, the economy sucks. I've been "freelancing" myself since September and I hate it.

But if change is what you want, I can't think of any more amazing sign that things have changed than yesterday afternoon.

The Arizona Cardinals won the National Football Conference Championship, and they are going to the Super Bowl in three weeks.

This is the first time the words "Cardinals" and "Championship" have been mentioned together since 1947.

That's change. May it be a sign of more important changes to come.

------

I would like to go on record to say that my sons' band officially kicks ass.

Adam, Brendan and their friend Ian have a band called Thunderstump. After ages of rehearsing, they finally took the plunge and played an open mic at a bar in New River last week. Jan and I went to watch (okay, I went to play, as well.)

You could SEE the adrenaline they were swimming in while they waited to play. And when they finally got up there, they did not disappoint.

They did two songs and even played a little trick on the audience. They started with a very slow and melodic instrumental that they had worked up called "Speed Bump." Then, they performed a great song that I think is the best song they have so far, called "Sleep." It's a loud, punky, funny song about having a manager at work who won't let you sleep.

The place went NUTS.

The guys were stoked. WE were stoked.

In his excitement after the gig, Brendan got so stoked that he inadvertently locked his car keys in his trunk. (Note: Dodge Stratuses are VIRTUALLY IMPENETRABLE, even to experienced locksmiths. We found this out the next morning.)

Thunderstump will play again. I'll keep you posted.

------

The annual Phoenix Songwriter's Gathering is now the Annual GLENDALE songwriter's gathering. It's this Saturday at the Glendale Library on 59th Avenue north of the peacock park. 10-4. I play a short set at 12:40. Come on out -- it's free!

------

Can you believe that guy put that plane down in that river last week? And everybody got off?

A guy named Sully had an airplane
Out of Laguardi-ayyyyyy
But then he lost both of his engines
Making goose pate
He put it down in the Hudson
It seems without a care
Everybody's gone Surfin'...
Surfin' U.S. Air!!!

Too soon?

TT

Comments:
Since we are HIGHLY unlikely to get to attend one of their performances, how about getting a recording of Thunderstump and sending us the MP3? Pretty please?

-Postmaster Keith & Carrie the Mainer
 
you can hear some recordings (admittedly made a few months ago -- they're better now) of the two songs they played at the bar at www.myspace.com/thunderstump
 
Unfortunately, when I go there I get this message:

This user has either cancelled their membership, or their account has been deleted.
 
Okay, try this:

http://www.myspace.com/thunderstumpstumpbylightning
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?