<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, April 26, 2009

I AM ONE LUCKY S.O.B. ...

...to be a part of the bi-monthly, continually-evolving show that is Romantasy Cabaret!

Last night's show was...how can I put this...FREAKING AMAZING. It was one of those great times doing live theatre (because that's really what it is) where the audience went from an oil painting to a frenzy in a little under three hours.

Those of us who do this show (and YOU can do it, too, if you have an act that works in a burlesque/vaudeville venue -- ask me how!) do it entirely for fun. If there are tips, we split 'em in a fair but certainly not even way (for example, if your act requires nudity -- holy CRAP there was a lot of that last night -- it would stand to reason that you might get a bit more for your trouble than, say, a man who performs a stand-up routine in a tux. But of course, tips only happen after the venue is paid, the security is paid, the media is paid, etc. etc.

So we do this for FUN!

I had a lot to do in the show last night. Jan and I had worked up a comedy bit concerning two spies which we debuted last night with a very uncooperative stage prop. But we survived. We also performed, for the second time, a bit we did in the last show; a short silent movie parody of the "YOU MUST PAY THE RENT! -- I CAN'T PAY THE RENT!" variety. It went over like gangbusters and got the oil painting laughing early.

I played a four-song set of music between the second and third act and most of the crowd stuck around to hear it, and I even got in on one of the classy stripper acts in the third act, where all the aforementioned nudity is (well, okay, most of the nudity this time; did I mention there was a LOT of nudity in this particular version of the show?), by playing her music for her. (I'm not going in to details because we might pull it out at a future show, and then you'd be there and know what was gonna happen.)

Everybody I talked to who came to see the show last night, and who had seen other performances, called this one the best ever. Even with an incredible number of backstage and on-stage unforeseen calamities, I believe they're right.

Congrats, one and all! Can't wait to do it again...

------

With all the stuff I had to do yesterday I missed the opportunity to see Michi Regier at Fiddler's Dream's Spring Festival. Michi's the greatest living fiddle player I personally know and she came down from Illinois to do the gig (and visit family I presume). She has a new CD that is simply AMAZING which you should now go to CDBaby.com and buy.

And while you're there, there's this guy named Tuerff who has two CDs you oughta have in your collection if you don't already...

TT

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?