<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, August 03, 2009

OKAY, JULY'S OVER, THANK YOU FOR PLAYING OUR GAME

I think that when it comes to terrible weather, this July is pretty up there with other terrible months I can remember. It didn't really rain much so we didn't get the "nature's reward" for putting up with the crap heat. We're in to August now, which is never much better but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel.

------

And there are reasons to be outside: This Friday during First Friday festivities downtown my sons' band Thunderstump is playing from 9-10 p.m. at the Firehouse on First Street just north of Roosevelt! It's free and they're funny! Come see!

------

I have a gig on Saturday the 15th at the Kozy Cactus, outside of PV mall in the Target parking lot. Good food, cheap. Eat dinner and watch me make you choke on it.
8 p.m.

------

My wife had a birthday last weekend and received a GPS system from me and lots and lots of cake.

------

Bob Dylan is in town a week from Tuesday. Which is why I'm not going, unless somebody drops tix in my lap.

------

I'm starting another blog which will be about my experiences in this entirely new environment of working with the computer-savvy, of which I am not. When I'm happy with what I'm posting I'll let you all know about it.

------

We were at a party last weekend and one of the attendees brought along her kids, the youngest of whom is 18. Somebody mentioned that the 40th anniversary of the Woodstock Festival was coming up and I heard the kid ask her mom, "What was Woodstock?"

You can now feel old. Go right ahead.

That weekend 40 years ago, I wasn't really that far from the Woodstock festival. My family was across the state in Buffalo, New York, visiting old family friends. Their family had two 18-year-old identical twin daughters who were really debating going (if they did I would've hidden in their car trunk just to go) but once they heard that the freeway near the site was closed due to the traffic, they decided not to try.

If you've never seen "Woodstock," the movie, you should. It won the Oscar for best documentary in 1970 for good reason; it's mesmerizing. Nowadays you can only get the "Director's Cut," which is good too but plan bathroom breaks. Which is more than someone at Woodstock could have done.

------

Woodstock is one of those events where more people who were ever there probably say they were there because they know they can get away with it, or because they've talked themselves into BELIEVING they were there. It's like Bobby Thomson's home run in 1951 that won the pennant for the NY Giants. (THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!) In interviews, Thomson has said that he has met at least twice the number of people who could have been in that stadium that day who all swear they were there. Even people who clearly weren't old enough.

------

Tickets are on sale for the next Romantasy Cabaret, Aug. 22. Get 'em now. This is gonna be one HOT show. I know 'cause I was at rehearsal yesterday. Yikes! Go to www.brownpapertickets.com immediately!

TT

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?