<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, August 21, 2009

SOMETIMES, PLAYING MUSIC IS ALL YOU NEED

My friend Pete alerted me to the fact that a bunch of local musicians were going to converge on the Yucca Tap Room at Southern and Mill on Wednesday night to play Bob Dylan covers. And one of those people was going to be Jim Beach, who, 30 years ago this week, became my college roommate for the last semester that I was actually at NAU (I finished up in 3.5 years; interned the last semester and became the advertising mogul in my mind that you don't see today.)

Along with Jim's cousin Perry, who lived two doors down in the dorm, we formed a formidable band called the Rocky Mountain Oysters. We played some of the finest sandwich shops in Flagstaff and made enough buzz to get written up in the paper right before the semester ended and we broke up.

Here we are in all our young glory, 30 years ago. Me, Jim, Perry.



Since my wedding in 1981, I've seen Jim twice. We hadn't played music together since 1981 and I hadn't seen him since the late 90s when he was in a band called the Royal Normans. Then he moved to Texas for a while.

So I figured I'd go watch all these local luminaries play Dylan Tunes and maybe I can crash the party and play a couple songs myself.

Jackpot on both counts! I got there before anybody and shortly after that, Hans Olson, with whom I have a mild acquaintance, walked in. So we had a beer and talked for about an hour when finally Mark Zubia, who was running the show and whom I had not met, wandered in. He mentioned a couple of cancellations, and despite my best "Me, Sir! Me, Sir!" he didn't get the message. So a little later, when Walt Richardson walked in, I plied the grease. I met Walt earlier this year when we did a gig together and reintroduced myself. He introduced me to Mark and Mark says he can put me on right before Jim Beach.

And then on cue, in walks Beach. Surprise, hugs, hey, guess what -- we're gonna play together!

We are?

Yes.

So the idea was to be sure that everybody did different songs so that there wasn't 10 different versions of Blowin' in the Wind. We figured out that nobody had taken "Buckets of Rain" or, oddly, "All Along the Watchtower," so I did those songs with Jim playing along. Just like 30 years ago. Totally. Cool.

What a night. I'm still stoked.

Tomorrow night is REALLY a night. I'm part of the latest version of Romantasy Cabaret at Club Red -- With EXTRA NUDITY and luscious creamy center. Please come.

To the SHOW. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Then Sunday, same location, other bar -- Red Owl, 101 and University, my boys' band takes the stage at 5:30 p.m. Come down and check them out!

TT

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?